Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Body that Used to be Mine

This is a poem that I wrote when JuneBug was about 2. I decided this was a good topic for Mother's Day.

The Body that Used to be Mine


I look on the body that used to be mine,
The stomach that used to be flat
And firm with flawless skin,
The arms that long ago were thin.

The stomach that used to be flat, 
Now bulging fat and criss-crossed with scars.
The arms that long ago were thin,
Now marshmallow soft, along with the thighs.

Now bulging fat and criss-crossed with scars,
From stretching too far and too fast,
I'm marshmallow soft in the arms and the thighs,
And have deepening circles beneath both my eyes.

In stretching too far and too fast,
My body changed into a home for yours.
The deepening circles beneath my eyes,
Hold memories of 2am lullabies.

My body changed into a home for yours,
and then yours became a home for my heart.
I hold memories of 2am lullabies,
And I'm glad to be pillow-y soft.

When you became a home for my heart,
Then I was born new, as a Mother,
And I am glad to be pillow-y soft
To be a warm nest for my daughter.

As I was born new as a Mother
I found a rich beauty in softness and scars;
To be a warm nest for my daughter,
I gladly give up the body that used to be mine.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, but remember to play nice!